Got extra summer produce? Try this fresh and delicious vegan summer risotto with corn, tomatoes, and basil. It’s velvety and creamy without any dairy due to the starches in the short-grain Arborio rice. This dish needs a bit of tending to, but the results are worth it!
Visual Instructions for Summer Risotto
Start by gathering your ingredients and doing the prep work for them such as warming the broth and chopping the vegetables.
Melt the vegan butter over a large pan on medium heat. Once it starts to bubble, add the onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Cook until the edges of the onion start to brown.
This slight caramelization will help produce a sweeter flavor from the onion.
Next add the cup of Arborio rice. Stir thoroughly, ensuring that each grain is coated in fat. You can tell that’s happened when the edges of each grain are translucent. Let cook for a few minutes, until almost dry.
Next add the white wine to deglaze the pan, there will be a bit of steam from this. Stir until almost dry.
Next get the warmed broth and add a ladle full of liquid to the pan. Continue stirring every 30 seconds or so until almost all the liquid is absorbed. A good test for this is when you scrape the pan. The rice should flow back like a wave, or all’onda, as the Italians say. Repeat this process until almost all of the broth is used.
Next add the corn, tomatoes, and basil. Stir to incorporate. Add the final ladle of broth, and turn the heat off. Let the risotto continue to cook off of the residual heat and stir until it’s at your desired consistency. Move it off the burner.
Finally, all the way at the end of cooking, you add the optional vegan butter and parmesan.
Serve immediately onto plates and garnish with a small leaf of basil. Enjoy!
Here’s the recipe for the summer risotto with corn, tomatoes, and basil:
Summer Risotto with Corn, Tomatoes, and Basil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped, a few leaves reserved for garnish
- 1 ear of corn, shucked and kernels removed
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan optional
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or olive oil optional
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Warm the vegetable broth in a small saucepan over the low heat.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, cooking for about seven minutes or until the edges are slightly browned.
- Add the rice and stir, ensuring that each grain of rice is coated in fat. Add more fat if necessary. Let cook for two minutes or until the pan is almost dry.
- Add the white wine and stir until absorbed.
- Add a ladle of broth to the pan, and stir often until absorbed. Repeat until all but one ladle of broth is consumed.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, basil, and the last ladle of both. Turn off the heat. Keep stirring until the dish has reached your desired consistency.
- Optional: Add extra vegan butter and vegan parmesan.
- Garnish each plate with a few leaves of fresh basil.
- Serve immediately.