Spring CSA 2020 – Week 1 starts today! We’re trying out a CSA and we picked up our first box today! What’s a CSA? Well CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture, which basically means getting your fruits and veggies from local farms in your community instead of from far-off sources. A more detailed description can be found here.
CSAs are great because:
- you get to eat the freshest produce (you get what’s in season at peak freshness)
- you support real people running local businesses
- it’s more eco-friendly (less fuel used to transport your food from “farm to table”)
- you also may get to try new produce you otherwise wouldn’t have bought
The CSA that we’re subscribed to for this spring is Bush-N-Vine Farm.
Here are photos of our first box from the Hall family:
What’s in the box?
We’ve got strawberries!
I ate one right from the box and they’re so sweet and delicious!
We’ve also got rainbow swiss chard,
green leaf lettuce,
and an alien vegetable!!! JK, it’s kohlrabi.
They also put a recipe card in the box! The ingredient highlighted from the box is swiss chard, which surprised me because I thought kohlrabi would be the vegetable most people would need suggestions for (or is that just me??) I personally don’t think this is a good recipe, but I do think it is a good dish. Perhaps I will write my own recipe and share it in another post 🙂
What will I make with all of this?
I will add below how I use each of these ingredients:
- strawberries – eaten one by one each time I open the fridge, in salads, in oatmeal
- swiss chard – sauteéd with cannelini beans à la my adaptation of the recipe included in the box
- kale – sauteéd with garlic and eaten with steamed sweet potatoes
- lettuce – made a salad along with the spinach and strawberries
- spinach – made a salad along with the lettuce and strawberries
- asparagus – steamed and eaten with herb roasted baby potatoes, also from the Hall family
- kohlrabi – crisp salad I veganized from Food 52
That’s it for Spring CSA 2020 – week 1. Can’t wait to see what we get in next week’s box!